Race two didn’t get off to the smoothest of starts, James Ellison crashing his GB Moto Kawasaki heavily and sustaining a broken leg in the fall.
Before the race could restart the British weather rolled in and the track was dampened slightly, although drying fast.
These changeable conditions saw Josh Waters taking full advantage, romping into the lead on lap five. It was a surprise performance from the Tyco Suzuki rider who hadn’t put in a top ten finish this season.
The conditions were surely a factor in the unusual front runners, all three riders at the sharp end were in podium positions for the first time – Waters leading Richard Cooper and Keith Farmer
“It feels awesome!” Waters commented after the race. “I definitely didn’t think I was going to win a race after the weekend I’d had. When I got into the lead I thought, ‘this is really cool – far out!’. Then I was trying to keep a gap and bring it home because I thought they might reel me back in.”
Meanwhile down in fifth was championship leader Shane Byrne, who extended his championship lead by finishing ahead of his main rival Josh Brookes in eighth.
1. Josh Waters AUS Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000
2. Richard Cooper GBR Anvil Hire TAG Racing ZX-10R +4.627s
3. Keith Farmer GBR PR Racing Kawasaki ZX-10R +6.082s
4. Tommy Bridewell GBR Milwaukee Yamaha YZF-R1 +7.253s
5. Shane Byrne GBR Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki ZX-10R +8.247s
6. Jon Kirkham GBR Halsall Bike Gear ZX-10R +14.094s
7. Dan Linfoot GBR Quattro Plant Kawasaki ZX-10R +16.720s
8. Josh Brookes AUS Milwaukee Yamaha YZF-R1 +19.427s
9. Chris Walker GBR Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki ZX-10R +24.495s
10. John Hopkins USA Tyco Suzuki GSX-R1000 +37.219s
11. Gary Mason AUS Anvil Hire TAG Racing ZX-10R +41.229s
12. John Ingram GBR Morello Racing ZX-10R +48.075s
13. Peter Hickman GBR RAF Reserves Honda CBR1000RR +49.341s
14. Stuart Easton GBR Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki ZX-10R +53.073s
15. Ben Wilson GBR Gearlink Kawasaki ZX-10R +53.706s
16. Ian Hutchinson GBR FFX Yamaha YZF-R1 +53.896s
17. Aaron Zanotti GBR GGH / STEL Suzuki GSX-R1000 +1m 1.656s
18. Lee Jackson GBR Buildbase BMW Motorrad S1000RR +1m 8.609s
19. Martin Jessopp GBR Ridersmotorcycles.com BMW S1000RR +1m 8.794s
20. Rhalf Lo Turco BRA SBKcity Kawasaki ZX-10R +1 Lap
Jakub Smrz CZE Millsport Ducati 1199 Panigale DNF
Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Buildbase BMW Motorrad S1000RR DNF